Pages

Broken but Unbroken All At The Same Time

Monday, January 12, 2015

I am a HUGE movie buff. I don't have any particular favorites in genre but if it peaks my interest in the trailers, I am definitely watching it. I just finished watching the movie, Unbroken. Let me tell you how touching, moving, inspiring and overall amazing this movie is.

This movie is about a Italian-American boy named Louie who was a rebel in his early childhood development stages. He was always getting into trouble until his older brother guided him in another direction, meaning the brother saw his potential in track and that lead to him becoming an Olympic athlete.

Once WWII began he was called to serve and on a mission to save a fellow military platoon, the plane he was on crashed into the ocean. Only he and two others survived the crash. The were at sea for over 28 days in a life raft until one succumbed to the harsh conditions of the ocean and the lack of food and water. During the time Louie was stranded, he found God and vowed that if he made it through this traumatic ordeal, he would devote his entire life to God's work. Louie and his comrade were unfortunately captured by the Japanese. They were now considered POW's and during the course of the war, Louie worked in two Japanese POW camps. During his time at the camps, he was brutally beaten and was rarely fed. If you guys know anything about POW's you know that the conditions that they endured are unimaginable. Louie had motivation in the phrase, "If you can take it, you can make it" and this phrase and the will to live ultimately made him survive the harsh conditions on the Japanese labor camps until the end of the war.

This was a true story.

At the end of the movie I reflected on what I saw and as I did so, I started to think of all the trials I have been through and how I have been broken. And not in the same sense as Louie, because that was very different than anything I have ever experienced. But whether it was trust lost in a friend, a boyfriend broke my heart or a death of a loved one, all of these examples have broken me at some point in my life, but some how some way, I have gotten through all of those trials. Did I come out unscathed? Honestly, probably not. But I knew that there would be another day, another day to get things right. Another day to mend my trust with others, mend the heart that has been broken and remember the good times I had with loved ones.

Although, there often seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel, just know that tomorrow is always a new start and you may be broken today but tomorrow you have a chance to be a survivor of your situation.

Unbroken has inspired me. Louie Zamperini has inspired me. And I want to thank all of the Men and Women in the military who serve and protect us because your courage inspires me.

Who inspires you? In times of despair do you have a Louie-ism that gets you through? How do you overcome situations that can break you? I am very curious to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs