Pages

"How you gonna tell me no?!" Is Rape The New Thing?

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

 Image result for rich homie quan
 
Where are all the real rappers?
 
You know the ones that actually have more to say besides rapping about the money, clothes, cars and you cannot forget the hoes!
 
Well this morning I awoke to yet again some disturbing lyrics that have been floating around and surprisingly to me, they are once again involving the sensitive subject of rape. I mean you think these rappers would be past or above a topic like this. Didn't they learn from Rick Ross and his molly all in your drink lyrics?!
 
Well I guess not, because Rich Homie Quan added some suspect lyrics in a song that was leaked that hasn't been released yet.
 
I first heard of this on my yahoo news....I am addicted to yahoo news and I normally get emails with what's been going on in the world while I've been sleeping and I read it religiously every morning. But enough about me and back to the matter at hand.....
 
So Rich Homie Quan is one of the newbies out in the rap game, but he is quite popular in the hiphop culture....(for those who are looking at his name like what the what) Yea, I was the same way before he made it mainstream when my little cousin told me she was at the beach hanging out with him....that is a completely different story lol
 
I cannot lie, his songs do have very nice beats and that's what lures you in first. Once the beat is good and has you nodding your head is when you may sit down and listen to what they're really saying. I am guilty of this. I may not even listen to the words, I may only focus on the beat and then months later I am like, I was jamming to this?!
 
Now down to the nitty gritty....these lyrics are graphic and some can say that they are to be taken light heartily but in actuality once you read these lyrics, you may change your mind. The lyrics are posted below.
 
Quan raps on the track:
“Don’t want your ho, just want that cookie from her/She tried to resist so I took it from her/How you gonna tell me no/You must not know who I am/Even if I’m on the road I see what's goin’ on cause you know I got cameras/ I don’t know no questions but I know the answers/I throw these black fists just like a panther.”

If you're interested in hearing the song, here is the link: I Made It

Now having read these lyrics what do you think?
 
In my opinion, these lyrics are very distasteful. These artist need to know that music is powerful and the young fans and some of the adult fans, take the lyrics to heart.
 
Think about your favorite artist, when listening to particular lyrics your mood can be changed. You can go back to a time when you were most happiest, you can also hear a song and become mad at the world. Music is powerful and these artist don't see how their words or wordplay can affect people in positive and negative ways.
 
These lyrics show me that Quan has no problem with raping someone, if she says no. And when heard by young men who aspire to be like him, this can be a recipe for disaster!
 
I am a full time Event Planner by day and a part-time counselor at youth home. This past Monday night, I had group with four young men and one young lady and the topic was about lyrics to songs. I am not even making this up! They all but one told me that they take what these artist are saying for face value, meaning they believe what these artist say and hold it to a high standard.
 
I attempted to tell them that some of these things artist say are false, they have never done something's and its all to gain fans and etc. But when you are 15 and 16 years old, who would you believe? Beyoncé, Jay-z, Quan or me? I thought so....so that's why its important to stand against an artist when they say things that can be taken out of context because these kids will think rape is ok and shooting someone is a natural occurrence in life. (Which many of the youth that I work with do...its so sad)
 
I have also been on some social media forums and the question about Rich Homie Quan's lyrics were discussed. Some people feel the same as me and think that something should be done about lyrics and then you have some people who say, the lyrics are being looked at too closely and they shouldn't be phased because its just a song.
 
I respect everyone's opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to agree and that goes for the people who disagree with me. But I think if we as people don't crack down on artist and their negative lyrics, then we will have an epidemic of unruly children who will not have the sense to know the difference between right and wrong and will ultimately become criminals. The more we turn our backs and say well people are looking too much into songs, movies and everything else the media pushes, the more ignorant we become.
 
The same people who take songs lightly will be the same ones crying when their sons hear this song or other songs and rape/kill someone or will be upset when their daughters have been raped/killed.
 
Rape, killing and deceiving people are never ok. But some artist continue to glorify these things in songs and will have this next generation all messed up. The children are supposed to be our future and just think once we are older, what will these children do? Who will these young children be? Who will be our leaders when we are too tired and old?
 
These are things people take lightly either because they don't believe that their kids can reach that level of success or they just haven't grown enough to realize, their parents will become old and they will have to take on worldly matters one day.
 
Either way, I digress. Let me know your thoughts on the lyrics, the song and any other source of media that turns you off. I am always up for a good discussion.

By the time I finished this blog, Rich Homie Quan has made a statement saying he never meant for it to be released and he is pursuing legal action on a cease and decease for the song....oh and he apologizes and doesn't condone rape at all...... 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and agree with you! After reading the lyrics my only thought was “WOW he is promoting rape!” I am 27 and understand the lyrics to be degrading but a young impressionable 15 or 16 year old may not see it the same way. Rap lyrics today portray females in a negative and degrading light. Since when is it okay to call yourself a Ho, THOT, etc and feel good about yourself. It is sad that our teens believe everything in rap lyrics. It will take individuals like yourself and others to mentor our youth in an effort to change the perceptions that rappers have portrayed. I cannot put all the blame on rappers though. Parents should be accountable because it is their duty to educate their children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are ALWAYS on the same page in our thoughts, but you hit a point I totally disregarded....the PARENTS! You are absolutely right! The parents have to want better for their children...in the cases that I have observed with counseling these youth, the parents are in the same situation as the kids....lost in the hype...its so sad

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs