Pages

Happy Birthday To the First Man I Ever Loved

Wednesday, February 18, 2015


I am the only child coming out of a typical two parent home. On the outside looking in, we are the typical Black American family. But on the inside, my parents are my best friends and I feel like its us against the world. There is nothing really out the ordinary about us....well there is a fun fact I love telling people about us....my mother and father are only children as well. So you can imagine the irony in that.


Today the first man I ever loved was born. I won't display is age, even though I am sure he wouldn't care and the fact that black don't crack! tehehe

I am completely thankful for this man and all that he does for me and my mother. Some of you are like, "well he is a dad, that's his job" or some don't even know the feeling of having a dad but now that I am old enough to reflect back on how I got here and the circumstances my parents were under, it truly is a blessing that I had this amazing influence of a man in my life.

My parents had me when they were 21 and in the 80's (This always amazes me, because I reflect back to when I was 21...and lets just say I was in the club turning up on a Tuesday...LITERALLY). They were not married and really weren't in a position to have a child, as they both still lived with their parents and were babies themselves. I am sure they went through struggles and I am sure they would never tell me about them, but what I do know is that I grew up with parents and family that loved me and I never went without.


I am thankful for my mother because she ultimately brought me into the world and gave me a chance at life, but I am very thankful for my dad because in a time where it could have been so easy for him to leave us, he didn't. Not taking away from my mother at all, but today is my dad's birthday and I want to let him know I feel about him (I often don't have the words to express myself, but I can write it for days).

I am sure he had dreams and goals for his life, but he put my life and well being before any of that. He may not be perfect, but who is? But he has been the perfect Father, Dad, Faja and Jed (his nickname I often call him) to me. I am truly thankful because I have someone to show me how a man is supposed to treat a woman. And to this day, I do not accept anything less of what my father would do or treat me from a man. I am thankful for that. I am thankful he called me Princess and he made up songs to sing to me when he came home from work. And the fact that he still brings me a stuffed animal when I am sick.

 He also taught/teaches me varies things so I won't have to depend on a man. And at the time he was teaching me about my car, I didn't want to listen but now I am thankful for those times because I am a very independent person (who knows more about cars than Honey but don't tell him lol).

When I was younger I was a bit of a tomboy, I played basketball and even watched it. I remember going out for basketball and my dad took me down to the park and taught me how to shoot and dribble, when we had softball intermurals at school, he took me out and showed me how to swing and hit a ball. When he was in high school he played baseball so this was up his alley. These were all times when he worked long tiring hours, but he always had time to spend with me.

In my early developmental years, my mom had to be at work early and that left me and dad to fend for ourselves and this meant he had to get me dressed and DO MY HAIR! My dad is the best hair dresser ever. He had not mastered little girls hair until he got practice every morning for some odd years. He did however master the plat, not the braid but never the less I never left the house looking crazy. It was the best time looking back on it now, I got to eat whatever I wanted for breakfast and I think he only did this to save time and arguments.


I remember when we lived in an apartment on Parker St., I was the happiest little girl ever! I didn't realize it then, but looking back I remember my dad working different jobs trying to provide for us the best way he knew how. He is the hardest working man I know, and I think that's where I get my drive to succeed from. My father didn't have the opportunity to go to college because he had a young daughter to provide for, so I made it my purpose to go to college and graduate for both of my parents. I always tell them the diploma and the degree I received is theirs and when I moved out the house, they stayed there with them because I did that for them.

In the early 90's we moved into our very first house! This was an amazing accomplishment for young 20 something's with a child and we live here to this day. They've talked about moving, but I wouldn't dare leave this place. It means way much to me, this house represents that with hard work, dedication and due diligence (as he likes to tell me all the time) you can accomplish anything.

My dad is a living testimony of how you can pull yourself up by your boot straps and make something out of yourself when life hands you a curve ball and in his case I was the curve ball lol Today he is a successful Realtor, father and friend. I wouldn't take anything for my dad. I have so many stories of how great of a man and dad he is but something's I want to keep private, you get the jest anyway.


I have a tattoo of my dad's name over my heart, and a lot of my friend's and people in general ask me why I got it and I simply respond, "He is my heart".

Having said all of this, I want to wish my first love, my father and friend a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And I wish you many more.

If you have an amazing dad or your child has an amazing dad, shout them out! Let's celebrate amazing Father's!


This lady was so nosy!! lol but here we were at a baseball game



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs